[Sugar-devel] State of Palettes for GTK+ 3.x

Benjamin Berg benzea at sugarlabs.org
Fri Nov 4 04:36:08 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 23:54 +0000, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> On 3 Nov 2011, at 20:59, Benjamin Berg <benzea at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>
> > I am actually thinking about removing the popdown when the user leaves
> > the palette with the mouse.
>
> This could only really work sanely from a design point of view if
> exposing a palette via a cursor hover/loiter also went away [SNIP]

You are right with this. Sorry if this was not quite clear. I do not
want to suggest to remove the feature entirely, but to postpone the
implementation for now.

My main point is that it does not hurt to first work on the other things
mentioned (eg. grabbing the input for normal palettes) before solving
the issue. Figuring how exactly events need to be handled directly after
the grab and during the grab doesn't seem to be easy.

The behaviour we are aiming for is unique; I don't know of any
application that does something similar, and for all I know, there could
be bugs in GDK that are also causing problems[1].

Benjamin

[1] I am thinking about client side windows here, though I don't know
whether these are involved in event processing.