[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [Sur] La bestia que renace una y otra vez

Esteban Bordón ebordon at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Wed May 25 10:48:04 EDT 2011

 Hi all,

2011/5/25 Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-2 at silbe.org>

> Excerpts from Walter Bender's message of Wed May 25 14:36:59 +0200 2011:
>
> > I will respond to this but would like to discuss it with the two of you
> > first.
>
> (Assuming you mean the discussion to be open to everyone, but would like
> to invite Simon and me in particular as you CC'ed sugar-devel)
>
> I find it rather hard to reply to the forwarded mail - and not just
> because of language issues. It conflates a lot of different concepts and
> issues (e.g. Journal meta-data vs. Rainbow). I also got the impression
> that the various different organisations related to Sugar and the OS
> used in Uruguay - including the government - are all put into the same
> "they" pot.
>
> Trying to distil the actual complaints:
>
> 1. Journal meta-data is complicated
> 2. Journal (meta-data?) is not transparent to the user
> 3. Reading a USB stick with many files on it is slow
> 4. Finding old Journal entries is hard
> 5. Incompatible with the Linux file system (whatever that means)

I think that is regarding to manage journal files like any other linux file
in any other place. To have access to the journal files we need to use
sugar.datastore, he told that he can't searching files using common linux
commands like ls, find, etc.
I think that the point 2 talks about the same thing.

6. Regression when attaching files to emails / Adineta(?) / GMail

Adinet is an uruguayan webmail (http://www.adinet.com.uy)

> For a useful response, I'd need a lot more detail about each individual
> issue - including the software versions (base distro, Sugar, ...). Some
> of it might have already been solved (e.g. the sort by creation time
> feature might be enough for #4).

As you know, in uruguay we have distributed many different builds and I
don't know which is the specific version that he refers, but the latest is
based on F11-Sugar 0.88-Dextrose

> Sascha
>
> --
> http://sascha.silbe.org/