[Sugar-devel] Sugar in Fedora 14

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri May 13 20:27:19 EDT 2011

Since I struggled quite a bit I thought I'd report for others.

Fresh F14 install, almost completely updated (it cannot find the newest kernel rpm in any repository for some reason, although it updated hundreds others).

Installing Sugar using the "Add/Remove Software" panel leaves out activities and the emulator. You need to install on the command line with

	yum groupinstall sugar-desktop

After installing, sugar-emulator fails with this error message:

	"Xephyr: ../../../include/privates.h:122: dixGetPrivateAddr: Assertion `key->initialized' failed."

Googling reveals a workaround, adding "-nodri" to the Xephyr command line.

So I added that to  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/util/emulator.py:

def _run_xephyr(display, dpi, dimensions, fullscreen):
    cmd = ['Xephyr']
    cmd.append(':%d' % display)
    cmd.append('-ac')
    cmd.append('-nodri')    # WORKAROUND FOR CRASH IN F14

With this, Sugar starts from the "Applications - Education" menu.

It then asks for a keyring password. You need to enter your password, otherwise the network neighborhood view will be empty. If you wait too long, it quits again.

There are no activities in the ring initially. You need to switch to list mode and star them.

Running Etoys fails because sugar-presence-service crashes with

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-presence-service", line 24, in <module>
    main.main()
  File "/usr/share/sugar-presence-service/main.py", line 64, in main
    presenceservice.main(test_num, randomize)
  File "/usr/share/sugar-presence-service/presenceservice.py", line 894, in main
    ps = PresenceService()
  File "/usr/share/sugar-presence-service/presenceservice.py", line 88, in __init__
    self._owner = self._create_owner()
  File "/usr/share/sugar-presence-service/presenceservice.py", line 57, in _create_owner
    return ShellOwner(self, self._session_bus)
  File "/usr/share/sugar-presence-service/buddy.py", line 866, in __init__
    f = open(icon_file, "r")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/bert/.sugar/default/buddy-icon.jpg

You can work around that in Etoys by making /usr/share/etoys/etoys.* writable temporarily, running Etoys again, dismissing the error notifier, loading updates, saving the image, and make the files write-only again. This avoids using presence-service at startup. Sharing will still not work with the borked PS of course.

My own XO icon went missing from the neighborhood view, see screenshot below. The error in shell.log might be related:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/desktop/meshbox.py", line 460, in do_size_allocate
    self._layout.move(self._owner_icon, x, y)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/desktop/spreadlayout.py", line 53, in move
    self._grid.move(child, x / _CELL_SIZE, y / _CELL_SIZE, locked=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/desktop/grid.py", line 88, in move
    self.remove_weight(self._child_rects[child])
KeyError: <BuddyIcon object at 0xa4ba0a4 (CanvasIcon at 0xa59ba70)>

Or this one:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 589, in msg_reply_handler
    *message.get_args_list()))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/model/neighborhood.py", line 212, in __error_handler_cb
    error))
RuntimeError: Error when calling BuddyInfo.GetProperties: org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Error.NetworkError: Failed to query the PEP node:
the addressed JID or item requested cannot be found

I don't know if any of these problems have been solved in the mean time, at least no update was available that looked like a fix. I have a system for developing now, so I'm not really complaining. Just wanted to point out some obstacles, because someone (can't remember who) said F14 was the best to get a working Sugar for developing.

- Bert -