[Sugar-devel] [AToiDeJouer] New activity from OLPC-France for animated story editing ... work in progress

Florent Pigout florent.pigout at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:10:43 EDT 2011

Hello,

With OLPC-France, we are currently working on a new activity named
'AToiDeJouer' ('YourTurnToPlay'). The project is in its early stage and
still needs effort for its achievement. Here is a recent screencast of the
activity:

http://olpc-france.org/download/OLPC_AToiDeJouer_Demo_Graphic_Editing.mp4

I confirm, this demo goes really fast, and doesn't reflect standard use or
discovery. But as the status of this project, it gives an idea of the goal
we aim and the remaining work to do.

The activity should be provided with 4 stories on an USB stick. For
download, these stories should be delivered separately but we didn't work on
that issue yet.

List of the USB stories:
. Le corbeau et le renard
. La grenouille qui veut se faire aussi grosse que le bœuf
. Le lièvre et la tortue
. La cigale et la fourmi

This activity fully use GTK as UI library and gst for sound playing. It's
ok, if we key keep a rendering of 1 frame per second, but the performance
issue can evolve if we find a nicer way to edit the story and manage
editable frame transition. May be we will be able to manage story with more
than 1 frame per second and will need stronger rendering backend, like a
pygame integration in the GTK all thing. I found some info about that but
haven't try anything yet.

For the USB version, children will open the activity with an existing story
and play with it. But managing graphics, sequences, sounds, frames, time,
loops, etc. can be quiet complicated for children. I tried to reproduce a
adobe flash like UI, but it remains difficult to use for new user in
general, and surely more for a younger audience. We already have some idea
on that issue, like: put tooltip on all buttons, prepare sequence in motion
instead of simple image list, offer simple | medium | advanced editing mode.
But, we certainly to step back and see if other good ideas or compromise can
be found.

I developed and tested the activity on a trisquel-sugar-4.1 virtualbox
instance. Also I tried it once on a XO 1.5, but it seems that
activity.ActivityToolbox and gtk.Color works in a different way. I still
need to figure out if it the only compatibility problem and work on it. The
USB version will use a trisquel-sugar-4.1 instance too, but it can be
interresting to keep an eye on compatibility for larger deployment.

I will post a link to mockups and screenshots of the main screens soon to
illustrate the work done and to think about a nicer ergonomy. Meanwhile,
here is the gitorious link:

http://git.sugarlabs.org/atoidejouer

Please don't hesitate to fork this project, send patch, comment, give your
opinion and point of view ...

++
florent