[Sugar-devel] eduJAM! 2011: A Vibrant Summit With A Diverse Range Of Offerings

Organización eduJAM! 2011 edujam2011 at ceibaljam.org
Mon Mar 21 15:04:46 EDT 2011

We are very excited to update you with the latest information about the eduJAM!
2011 <http://ceibaljam.org/?q=edujam2011_en> summit. It is great to see that
the different pieces of the puzzle are coming together for what will
undoubtedly be a landmark for the international community of educational
free-software developers. Many of the main developers behind the Sugar
platform will be present (Walter Bender, Aleksey Lim (alsroot), and Bernie
Innocenti among others <http://ceibaljam.org/node/1108>). Additionally,
people working on different OLPC deployments will be there which guarantees
an excellent environment for moving the area of 1-to-1 computing in
education projects and related discussions forward.

More than anything we aim to make the summit an event to create and amplify
relationships in this community.

*Place*

The summit will take place at the Universidad del Trabajo del Uruguay (UTU)
and more specifically in its brand-new PAOF
building<http://ceibaljam.org/node/1171> which
is located in Ciudad Viaja, the historic and commercial heart of Montevideo.
Apart from this allowing us to work within a comfortable and versatile
space, it also provides opportunities to enjoy this beautiful part of the
city during free hours.

*Program*

The summit will begin in the afternoon of *Thursday*, May 5 with an informal
reception aimed at allowing us to get to know each other as well as catch
up.

On *Friday*, May 6 the intensive work begins. This day will be organized in
two tracks. In the morning we will focus on a broad vision of the core
challenges encountered when designing a software platform aimed at learning
in school environments in general and in 1-to-1 scenarios in particular. We
can revise and revisit these experiences in light of the experiences made
within this context in the past few years. What has and hasn’t worked when
it comes to the software? How can we support the creation of effective
learning communities? How can we make the development processes in such a
diverse and distributed community more efficient? Which applications are we
still missing? These are some of the questions which will be on the table.

In the afternoon the summit will turn sweet as we fully dedicate it to
Sugar. On the one hand we will hold a “Sugar Camp” where will discuss the
current state of developments, local labs, the roadmap and how to optimize
the work in the community.

Simultaneously on Friday afternoon there will be workshops aimed at people
such as students and newcomers who want to learn how to develop for Sugar.

On *Saturday*, May 7 the morning will be focused on the various experiences
made in 1-to-1 projects. There will be talks by people working on different
deployments, explaining what they have done and discussing the necessities
and requirements when it comes to software platform. We consider this to be
an important input for planning future work.

This afternoon will be run in an “unconference” mode. This means that there
will be different talks, workshops, and discussion rounds which will be
planned and decided upon by the participants on the spot. We thereby hope to
learn more about the various ongoing projects, discuss roadmaps as well as
form small development and investigation groups.

*Conozco Uruguay Tour*

Independent of the summit, a variety of activities will take place in the
days leading up to it. These activities are aimed at people who want to
explore the experiences Uruguay is making with Plan Ceibal in more depth.
They will take place between Saturday, April 30 and Thursday, May 5.
Together with RAP Ceibal and OLPC we have developed the following itinerary:

   -

   Saturday, 30: Welcome dinner
   -

   Sunday, 1: Visit to Tala, Canelones, its rural school and Proyecto
   Aurora. Asado included;-)
   -

   Monday, 2 (morning): Visit to and activities at Escuela 173 in Las
   Piedras, Canelones
   -

   Monday, 2 (afternoon): Meeting with members of Flor de Ceibo, a project
   by the Universidad de la República which supports Plan Ceibal
   -

   Tuesday, 3: Visit to and activities at Esciela 33 in La Paloma, Durazno
   -

   Wednesday, 4 (morning): Montevideo city tour
   -

   Wednesday, 4 (afternoon): Visit of Euskal Erría school and the RAP
   Montevideo Center as well as meeting with RAP Ceibal volunteers

This agenda is still subject of possible changes but the start (Saturday,
April 30) and end dates (Thursday, May 5) have been confirmed. We are also
working on possible changes to include a touristic activity such as the
visit of a Uruguayan winery.

More information is available at:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Conozco_Uruguay_Tour

*Sugar Code Sprint*

There are also plans for an activity aimed at Sugar developers to take place
after the meeting. The days between Sunday, May 8 and Wednesday, May 11 will
be focused on intensive Sugar programming sessions in collaboration with
developers from Sugar Labs, OLPC and hopefully also other deployments.

*A vibrant summit to unite and grow the community*

The eduJAM! 2011 organization is progressing at full speed. We are also
making calls to volunteers to help us in the organization and logistics, for
example to host some of the international participants and thereby help them
reduce their cost as well as allowing them to learn more about the local
realities.

All of this is made possible thanks to the grand efforts by
ceibalJAM!<http://ceibaljam.org/>,
the collaboration of the communities around OLPC, Sugar Labs, and RAP
Ceibal, the coordination of Creática, the sponsorship by Activity Central
and the many volunteers who are lending a helping hand in organizing the
summit as well as the activities before and after it.

Don’t miss it! Register <http://ceibaljam.org/node/1128> and buy your
tickets for travel! In case you have any questions please write us at
edujam2011 at ceibaljam.org.