[Sugar-devel] [Design] Control Panel - improve space usage

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Feb 9 09:40:19 EST 2011

On 02/08/2011 11:34 PM, James Cameron wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 09:52:56PM -0500, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> The search currently does grey out icons that does not match the
>> search criteria. In the IconView/ListStore the normal way to filter
>> the view is by displaying only the icons that match the criteria.
>> Would that be an acceptable change in behavior here - other ideas?
>
> No, not acceptable to me.  Marking the icons insensitive is justified
> because the quantity and relative position of the icons never change.

Keeping the position is a benefit, yes. Reducing the number of items
shown in a search is what we do as well in the Journal and in the
activity list, so it would be consistent to that. And greying out the
items is what we do in the neighborhood view.

> I don't like how the icons cannot be selected if they don't match a
> search.  This is an overload of search results and button sensitivity.
> Marking the results some other way, such as by change to icon stroke
> brightness, is acceptable.

I would make sure to match either the behavior in the neighborhood view
or the Journal/activity view.

> I think the search is without purpose.  It only searches icon text.  One
> can't use it, for instance, to find "color", "radio" or "discard network
> history".  I wish the search either did not exist, or searched also
> configuration items inside icons.

It actually does that - you can specify key words for each control panel
section which are matched in a search.

Regards,
    Simon