[Sugar-devel] [Design] Control Panel - improve space usage

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 9 06:16:42 EST 2011

On 9 Feb 2011, at 04:34, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 09:52:56PM -0500, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> The search currently does grey out icons that does not match the
>> search criteria. In the IconView/ListStore the normal way to filter
>> the view is by displaying only the icons that match the criteria.
>> Would that be an acceptable change in behavior here - other ideas?
>
> No, not acceptable to me.  Marking the icons insensitive is justified
> because the quantity and relative position of the icons never change.
>
> I don't like how the icons cannot be selected if they don't match a
> search.  This is an overload of search results and button sensitivity.
> Marking the results some other way, such as by change to icon stroke
> brightness, is acceptable.
>
> I think the search is without purpose.  It only searches icon text.  One
> can't use it, for instance, to find "color", "radio" or "discard network
> history".  I wish the search either did not exist, or searched also
> configuration items inside icons.

+1 all good stuff, particularly search dimming icons rather than hiding so that lay out remains stable. FWIW Apple made a hidden dictionary of search terms for their preferences, so a Windows user (for example) could search for terms they were used to in their control panel, perhaps we could do the same?

--Gary