[Sugar-devel] What should be the best set in order to develop for Sugar in Ubuntu, today ?

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Fri Dec 2 20:23:06 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:24:24AM +0100, laurent bernabe wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a laptop computer that can run both windows 7 and ubuntu linux. My
> question is :
>
>    - what is the best way to be prepeared to develop in linux, as it is the
>    best paltform for programming ?
>    - Should i install sugar ubuntu package ? Should i use Fedora instead ?

Thats up to you, ie, your preferences regarding the GNU/Linux
distributions. In some cases distributions have well packaged Sugar
(Fedora), and you can just install these packages, in other cases
might not.

In any case, there is a distribution agnostic solution, Sweets[1].
It is designed to work on top of major GNU/Linux distributions to
provide to same Sugar software versions for all of them. For example, it
should work on Ubuntu-11.10, providing recent (and a couple of other
verisons) Sugar.

Moreover, Sweets is designed to be useful[3] in development process as
well. For example for Sugar Shell sweets, it looks like:

* checkout sources
* launch sources using, e.g., `sweets <PATH>` command

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Guide/Sweets_Usage
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Guide/Sweets_Usage#Sugar_via_Sweets
[3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Guide/Sweets_Packaging#Development_with_Sweets

--