[Sugar-devel] NetworkManager 0.9 (was: Re: Sugar 0.94 - Schedule proposal)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-3 at silbe.org
Mon Aug 8 09:58:16 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Daniel Drake's message of Sat Aug 06 13:08:48 +0200 2011:

> The move represents a shift in design. Previously, Sugar had to
> implement a dbus service which managed network connections. Now
> NetworkManager does that for us.

NetworkManager 0.8 and below already supported system connections, so
it's not so much a shift as getting rid of one of two options. It might
be a good intermediate step to switch to NM 0.8 + system connections
(the original plan of SL#1884 [1]).

> Ubuntu currently ships v0.8, but their next release (Oneric, to be
> released in October, and which Sugar-0.94 schedule is indirectly based
> around) will have 0.9.

I wouldn't take Ubuntu as a reference here because the last few Ubuntu
releases didn't support Sugar too well. I've even stopped supporting
Ubuntu in sugar-jhbuild (though I've heard Alekseys "sweets" supports
Ubuntu, even including Browse).

Debian Wheezy still has NM 0.8 (some 0.9 pre-release is available in
experimental). There's a good chance it will have NM 0.9 before it
freezes, though.

With my Dextrose hat on, I'd like to see us move to NM 0.9 for the next
release. With my Sugar hat on, I'm worried about large changes
introducing a lot of regressions, like with Telepathy. While moving to
system connections is large enough to be of concern itself, the
additional changes required for NM 0.9 increase the risk (though I'm not
sure by how much).

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1884
--