[Sugar-devel] Dextrose 1 report from Paraguay

Martin Abente mabente at paraguayeduca.org
Thu Sep 30 14:20:03 EDT 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:53:39 -0400, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martín, team,
>
> great -- your efforts are definitely worthwhile. Some questions below...
>
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Martin Abente
> <mabente at paraguayeduca.org> wrote:
>> * Only 21 Activities selected by our education team. These activities
are
>> protected (can not be erased using the user interface).
>
> How are you achieving that? (Link to ticket or code welcome :-) )

http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2087
Please read the comments at the ticket, there were a lot of considerations
(and goals). I had to solve a few corner cases (other patches apparently
not related) to get this patch in.

>>  * Kids are now aware of the backup facilities. Now they can backup and
>> restore the journal whenever they want.
>
> How do they deal with the posibility of losing newer local files? Or
> is that issue resolved?

Well, for the XS backup I guess there will no problem. For the external
storage device backup there could be data loss (we still use that simple
"save point" concept, but I think it could be improved for Dextrose 2),
anyways, the interface warns about that scenario. And (again in the
practice) we explain the kids how it works, to encourage them to use often
(which is a sane practice).

>> 4. Decent stability state, this contributed on how teachers perceive
>> Sugar
>> as a Education tool.
>
> Bravo! :-)

:)