[Sugar-devel] SoaS and new netbooks

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-3 at silbe.org
Tue Sep 14 05:52:26 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Art Hunkins's message of Tue Sep 14 03:16:04 +0200 2010:

> Does anyone know whether SoaS USB sticks will boot onto the new 7" netbooks
> (<$100US)?
>
> The OS is WindowsCE 6.0 professional, and there are 3 USB2.0 ports. Video
> resolution is 800x480.

SoaS won't work as it's x86-only. Sugar will run if you get a Linux
distribution to work. I had Sugar on Debian running on my mobile phone
(HTC Universal) some time ago. It was no fun because it has only 64MB of
RAM. If the device has less than 256MB (same as XO-1) I wouldn't even
bother trying. Until somebody has spent enough effort to make Sugar run
well on low-memory devices (it's a huge effort) your hardware will be
obsolete and might not even work anymore.

800x480 is rather on the low side, BTW. Even my phone has 800x600 (on
a 3.5" screen). You're going to have quite a bit of trouble with
activities that don't scale well.

Sascha

[1] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Jhbuild#Configure_the_mode_and_resolution_of_Xephyr
--