[Sugar-devel] Sugar and activities flag day

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Sep 13 11:58:00 EDT 2010

On 10 September 2010 13:41, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> Just wanted to summarize an enlightening conversation that just
> happened in #sugar:

No responses..surprising!
Let me try a bit harder then.

My thoughts/suggestions:

1. Rename sugar-0.92 to Sugar-1.0

2. Switch to pygi and GTK+ 3 for sugar-1.0

3. Allow significant sugar API changes up until the sugar-1.0 API
freeze date, which I think would land mid-January 2011. These would be
subject to the usual review processes to ensure quality.

4. Ignore the silly people who draw large conclusions from looking at
a version number

5. Publicise the fact that sugar-1.0 is an API break in all activities

6. If anyone had plans or specific goals for sugar-1.0 that won't be
ready in time, push them off to sugar-2.0 (which can be released on
the original timeline that people had thought for the original
sugar-1.0)

7. switch to python3 at the same time? (ok, this one wasn't discussed,
and I'm not sure of the realities, just something that crossed my
mind!)

Daniel