[Sugar-devel] Enhancing Sugar to support multiple users

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Mon Sep 6 06:36:02 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Marco Pesenti Gritti's message of Mon Sep 06 11:05:07 +0200 2010:

> Not sure how account name and sugar nick name should interact. Ideally
> they would be the same I think, but then you can't change the name
> easily.

I'd treat the user account name as an internal implementation detail like
the Jabber user name (all OLPC builds use "olpc" as the account name as
you are probably aware). The equivalent of changing the Jabber nick name
is adjusting the GECOS field:

sascha.silbe at twin:~$ chfn -f 'Sascha Silbe (Sugar Labs Oompa-Loompa extraordinaire)'
chfn: Permission denied.

OK, well, you need to fix /etc/login.defs first. :)

sascha.silbe at twin:~$ chfn -f 'Sascha Silbe (Sugar Labs Oompa-Loompa extraordinaire)'
Password:
sascha.silbe at twin:~$

We already pull from GECOS on first login (unless turned off via GConf);
keeping GECOS and nick name synchronised would be the next logical step
(independent of anything Peru is doing).

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/