[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2010-10-26

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Oct 27 08:32:10 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 05:10:30PM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> ==Sugar Digest==
>
> 1. Tomeu's departure from the project has set off a lot of
> introspection, speculation, 'blunt' emails, and thoughtful responses.
> There is no doubt that we will miss Tomeu. He has been not just a
> prolific contributor to the project, but also a steady hand, with the
> professional's eye. Under his leadership, we have been able to raise
> the quality of Sugar and we are much better integrated into the work
> flows both upstream and downstream from Sugar. We must ensure that
> this level of professionalism is not diminished.
>
> The occasion of Tomeu's departure has triggered the voicing of many
> unrelated frustrations with Sugar and Sugar Labs. Yioryos
> Asprobounitis posted a thoughtful email
> [http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2010-October/028319.html]
> to the Sugar Developer list. In it, he reminded us of those things
> that every successful project needs:

> * Clearly defined aims
> * Clearly defined road map
> * Clearly defined tools/methods of implementation
> * Clearly defined, tangible, milestones and annual _external_ evaluation

Just my two cents..

Being absolutely agree with Walter,
in my mind it can be concentrated in shorter statement (maybe someone
already made it):

The main issue comes with major misunderstanding. For some
participants Sugar is a particular software product (OS on an XO or even
window manager with applications designed especially for it). Other
participants think about Sugar as a subset of FOSS community. [Subset
of] FOSS community can't have clearly defined aims and road maps except
"Lets make this world better" (or so) and can't have clearly defined
tools.

At the same time a particular parts of Sugar ecosystem are concrete
software products (OLPC, SoaS, Dextrose and any Sugar deployment) with
related functionality like clearly defined aims, road maps,
implementation and QA.

What we really lack (as Walter said) is an architect [team?] that will
plan/declare/try-to-follow long running coordination of Sugar ecosystem
and took part in communication between Sugar-product-providers and the
rest of Sugar ecosystem.

--
Aleksey