[Sugar-devel] Moving forward (Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 24, Issue 161)

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 05:10:27 EDT 2010

I did read with great interest both D. Farning's the "stepping down" and "Moving forward" as well as the public "freeze" that followed the first  one.

I'm not really in the field of ITC but I do know a bit about projects, particularly collaborative ones. Every development project to have a hope of success it needs
Clearly defined aims
Clearly defined road map
Clearly defined tools/methods of implementation
Clearly defined, tangible, milestones
and annual _external_ evaluation.

Internally the project needs many tangible, evaluated stages/tasks so people that work on these have specific goals and, more important, tangible appreciation for their delivered goods.

I would think that SugarLabs has to work really hard in all of the above. (I will not go into specifics because criticizing is not the point now).

It is true the 99% of the development projects diverge one way or another from the original definitions. This may even include the Aims, though this is usually the last to change. But that's OK! As long as the process reflects accurately the realities on the ground, adapting to realities is a good thing.
This where DF's "stakeholders" and "evaluation" come into play. Otherwise everything looks like an "exercise on map", where "purity of code",  "innovative ideas", "peer appreciation", "adherence to principles", "harmonization with upstream/downstream"  etc, make take precedence over the goals of the project that is to actually  help _real life_ kids and teachers using Sugar to achieve a better education. Without their progress and needs in clear view and the evaluation from them on our deliverables, everything becomes irrelevant.  We operate in a vacuum, and pretty soon diverge and disintegrate.

To that extend I would think that any individual taking a leading role without the above thoroughly discussed and defined, will just burn-out and be wasted. The actual definition of the aforementioned issues is what will define the best person for the job. The additional benefit of an open discussion, is that the better person may still be in the sidelines because (s)he can not see any room to move, and surface through it.

I do not really know if mailing lists are the best place to have these discussions. Again my experience from collaborative projects is that every successful one was preceded by an open meeting where participants openly discussed and defined (in writing) to a large extent goals, methods, milestones, tasks, evaluation and feedback. Then distal media where then used to further define the first draft into a project.

Maybe is time for a "Reinventing-Sugar" face to face meeting.