[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] stepping down as maintainer

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Oct 24 13:21:18 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 06:21:38PM +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>Excerpts from David Farning's message of Sun Oct 24 06:42:24 +0200 2010:
>
>> Sugar Labs lost its lead developer.  It is unfortunate that no-one
>> has done a public review of the reasons and implications of Tomeu
>> quiting.
>>  Tomeu's leaving is significant enough that Sugar Labs should take a
>> hard look at what is working, what is not working, and how to fix the
>> pieces that are not working.
>
>Was there something going on behind the scenes? From Tomeus mail I
>would have thought his reasons were entirely personal ones (i.e.
>something like having to take care of his parents or his girlfriend not
>wanting to have to share him with Sugar Labs anymore).

Well, seems at least to not be a sudden move:
http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2010/10/now-moving-for-real.html

[lots of great reflections - from both of you - snipped]

For those posting thankyou mails to the list, let me share an insight
passed to me recently by a fellow Debian developer: If you want to thank
a person then do it discretely.  Posting thankyous to a mailinglist has
the side effect of boosting your own ego and, more damaging, affects
similar future events: Who is appreciated enought to get many comments
when leaving (or, as was the case at the debian-private list: has a
baby).

Hope I did not step on anyones toes with this.  I certainly do not want
to brag about being better than others: as said, someone just pointed
out the exact same thing to me very recently.  My intend is to care for
the community, not only the person at the center of the various events.

  - Jonas