[Sugar-devel] [Dextrose] Pending patchs for Paint

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Fri Oct 22 12:45:06 EDT 2010

Excerpts from James Cameron's message of Wed Oct 20 22:56:04 +0200 2010:

> While it would be nice if every release of every activity has a matching
> tag and sources in the respective repository, we've had situations where
> that has not been desirable, such as when a version of Record was
> released for a deployment via activities.sugarlabs.org but the changes
> were not accepted into mainline because consensus had not been reached.

I certainly hope that each bundle released by Sugar Labs or associated
organisations (OLPC, etc). has a corresponding commit and tag in a
discoverable git repository. Otherwise this will quickly turn into a
maintenance nightmare. See SL#2149 [1] for an example where I couldn't
continue debugging due to lack of a convenient way to access the actual
source code. Sure, I could have flashed an XO with Dextrose and extract
the installed Python files. But that would have taken more time than I
could afford.

It doesn't need to be the on the master branch or even inside the
mainline repository. What matters is there is
a) a corresponding commit in a public git repository
b) the commit belonging to a particular bundle is discoverable within a
   reasonable amount of time.

Creating a fork ("clone") on git.sugarlabs.org containing tags for each
released version and putting the name of the repository inside some
file of the bundle (e.g. README or HACKING) would be one way to achieve
the above without requiring cooperation from the maintainer (of the
"original" module).

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2149
--