[Sugar-devel] [Dextrose] Pending patchs for Paint

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 22 10:16:49 EDT 2010

On 20 Oct 2010, at 21:56, James Cameron wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:56:41PM +0100, Gary Martin wrote:
>> 	http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/paint/repos/mainline
>>
>> I noticed that the activity.info file is still for version 27. As
>> Paint-28 has been released I'd expect to mainline to at least be up to
>> date with those commits. Maybe the rest of the source is current, and
>> it's just the activity.info file change that was not pushed?
>
> While it would be nice if every release of every activity has a matching
> tag and sources in the respective repository, we've had situations where
> that has not been desirable, such as when a version of Record was
> released for a deployment via activities.sugarlabs.org but the changes
> were not accepted into mainline because consensus had not been reached.

In such cases git.sugarlabs.org provides very easy cloning of any rep where deployments can have full control and create, say, a custom Record-Peru.

> A release of an activity is not done using the master repository, it is
> done using a local clone of the repository.  Therefore during testing
> and diagnosis I've always presumed that the source code shipped in the
> .xo file might be different to the tagged source in the master
> repository.

Hmm, I'd have to disagree. This seems like a terrible workflow for a community. I try to make sure every release of activities I maintain is made with mainline in sync with my local development/testing git rep. If I was hit by a bus tomorrow, or my laptop HD crashed, or I went AWOL, we'd have a release out in the wild with no source history for the community to pick up, and possibly no source (though luckily most activities are python source, so code could be rescued from a bundle out in the wild).

Regards,
--Gary