[Sugar-devel] Proposal of dotted activity version number

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Oct 5 04:22:37 EDT 2010

On 10/05/2010 01:16 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
> On 5 October 2010 10:25, James Cameron<quozl at laptop.org>  wrote:
>
>> I agree with the proposal.
>>
>> --
>> James Cameron
>> System Test Coordinator
>> One Laptop per Child
>

> I tentatively agree.
>
> My strong preference is for Activities to rapidly increase their integer
> numbers, rather than creating a complex tree of point releases. My feeling
> is that a tree of three or more levels deep adds complexity to new Learners.
> It goes against the 'low floor, no ceiling' philosophy by requiring that
> Learners learn a new counting system, on top of integer increments. It also
> adds to the pressure to maintain several versions of the software
> concurrently.
>
> While I agree that maintainence releases are important, I would prefer that
> community etiquette is developed that discourages version numbers that look
> like "2.4.12".  Developers should be strongly encouraged to migrate to a new
> integer release when practical. Most activities are quite discrete. They
> tend not to add many features once they have reached a desired level of
> maturity.
>
> Tim.

Hi Tim,

I think most of the activities will keep on just using integer numbers.
The new proposal does address only the need where this is not possible
or where we would have to find even uglier solutions (like described in
the original mail). I think the most complex version number we will ever
see is 10.2.

Btw, the current scheme resulted in activity numbers like 108 for
Browse. This is the case since we had many development iterations. When
we would have used the versioning scheme with minor major release we
would probably be at 8.0 by now, which I tend to think might be easier
for young learners (if they will ever look at the version numbers).

Regards,
    Simon