[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Messages notification

Anish Mangal anishmangal2002 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 09:02:56 EST 2010

* On top of ui changes, would it also make sense to play some
'notification' sounds as well? The HIG doesn't say anything about
sounds AFAIK

* Or flashing an icon or doing 'something' with the UI exactly when
the notification occurs.

* Also, what about conditionally (based on importance, urgency)
displaying un-addressed notifications (or bringing up the frame) as
soon as sugar UI boots up.

Your screenshot [1] looks very good to me. How about adding another
button "Display next 5 notations" next to the "Clear" one.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Corner_notification_message_only_history.png

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Martin Abente
<martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Martin Abente
>> <martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello again,
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > So far, I think this is the best idea we got :), but I guess it is
>> > important
>> > to have the approval of other members, So please everyone take a look at
>> > [3]
>> > and give us some feedback before my implementation gets to that point.
>> >
>> > 1. http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Messages_Notification
>> > 2. http://people.sugarlabs.org/~tch/images/Screenshot-19.png
>> > 3.
>> >
>> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Corner_notification_message_only_history.png
>> >

>> This is visually consistent with our other use of menus. Presumably
>> the most recent message will pop up first and the rest of the list
>> will appear after a delay?
>>

> Yes, also the notification protocol specifications defines an urgency level
> that could modify the appearing order.
>

>> Any reason not to have a single Journal entry that accumulates all the
>> messages over time so that even if you clear the list, you have a
>> record?
>>

> +1, even though I don't see the point of saving _all_ the messages
> notifications, it would be great to have that option for each notification
> individually (the user should save it explicitly if he finds it useful). It
> would make sense for many scenarios.
>

>> -walter
>>

>> --
>> Walter Bender