[Sugar-devel] Running SWF files standalone in Sugar? Simple Activity wrapper?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 13:57:56 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org> wrote:
> Well, no.  Fedora 11 is a supported Adobe platform - the XO is not.

I mis-reported the situation a bit (wrt to my "vanilla" fedora). There
are 2 parts where Adobe needs to fulfill

 - Without an rpm there is no way to install it on Fedora with the
RH/Fedora toolchain. The installer provided is an "end user has root
password and is running us under X" type of installer. Any large
deployment -- say, an corporate environment -- will need an rpm.

 - The self-executing installer provided opaquely depends on non-base
packages, and barfs cryptically if it doesn't find them. There are no
release notes nor instructions mentioning the need for rpm-dev or
rpm-build (my "vanilla Fedora 11" box has all sorts of dev tools
installed, for obvious reasons ;-) ).  It is very likely that the
problem we see is a missing dep -- Adobe needs to document what the
dependencies are.

Maybe someone with patience can strace the installer and get more info
on what's failing -- to guess the dependencies.

> If you report a problem on the XO, they will ask you to reproduce it on a supported platform first and then report it.

That is correct -- but the problems we're seeing are actually on
Adobe's side of the court.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions