[Sugar-devel] depending on introspection

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Fri Jun 18 11:59:35 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Daniel Drake's message of Fri Jun 18 14:29:39 +0000 2010:
> If you wait for Debian you'll likely be waiting a long time.
Please note that we're talking about Sugar development (i.e. sugar-jhbuild) on Debian unstable here, which is usually rather current. Native Debian packages to go into a stable release are a totally separate matter.

> My view: don't let it hold back. Make the change, hack jhbuild, and
> put pressure on them to push the package updates.
If somebody else volunteers to maintain a sugar-jhbuild that replaces major libraries shipped by the distro: go ahead!
It will get you into dependency hell and I have neither the time nor any inclination to re-enter it after working hard to get _rid_ of most non-Sugar packages in sugar-jhbuild.
As mentioned on IRC, the reason it works well for Gnome is because they replace _all_ the libraries. Apart from raising the bar to using sugar-jhbuild (think disk space, time to build) it requires a lot of effort to keep all packages current.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/