[Sugar-devel] [Browse-webkit] Changing its bundle_id

Lucian Branescu lucian.branescu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 12:18:36 EDT 2010

In order to better test Browse-webkit, we'd need to package and distribute it.

However, it is plagued with dependency issues. It requires pywebkitgtk
1.1.6 and webkitgtk 1.1.7, which aren't an option on fedora 11 without
breaking other things. pywebkitgtk has a bug
(http://code.google.com/p/pywebkitgtk/issues/detail?id=48) which makes
Browse-webkit segfault a lot. There are some features missing
(cookies, proper sugar sessions) because the lack of a libsoup python
binding and because of the lack of pywebkitgtk 1.1.7 + webkitgtk
1.1.14+.

Most of this could be solved by PyGI (if it works), but that isn't an
option on fedora 11 either.

Since replacing a working Browse with one that's likely to crash or at
least not have some features is a bad idea, I was thinking of changing
the bundle_id of Browse-webkit from 'org.laptop.WebActivity' to
'org.sugarlabs.WebActivity', to allow both Browse to be installed and
working at the same time. However, this might confuse users yet again,
since they'd have their good old Browse along with a possibly broken
one.