[Sugar-devel] Memorize Game sharing a Created game

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jul 22 21:59:34 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:42:09AM +1000, David Leeming wrote:
> Thanks, it is version 33 that was shipped, if you read the wiki carefully.
> We will try downgrading. This brings up a related matter, when using a slow
> Internet connection (possibly latency is an issue too) the download
> frequently fails before it is complete, and there is no way of knowing
> precisely unless it is a grossly reduced download,. Without testing. I am
> struggling to download Memorize 33 from the OLPC wiki, at my present
> location in central PNG, using mobile broadband.

I can imagine how difficult that is, but even at very slow speeds
Memorize-33.xo should take a very short time ... it is only 832971 bytes
long.  If you would like to try an alternate method to download on an
XO, use Terminal activity and wget.

For example:

1.  insert a USB stick,

2.  start Terminal activity,

3.  type "cd /media/*", to change the working directory to the USB stick
so that the download will go there,

4.  type

	wget -c http://wiki.laptop.org/images/4/44/Memorize-33.xo

5.  when it finishes, verify the file with

	md5sum Memorize-33.xo

f2527bab56090a72d396e2b20091e62e is what I get.

6.  then close Terminal, open the Journal, find the .xo file, and click
on it.

Using this method will also help you understand why the download might
be failing.  The output of step 4 will tell you more details about a
failure.  With this better understanding you might be able to fix the
problem or at least be better informed.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/