[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Deleting an entry in the Journal while the activity is running

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 08:08:47 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:01:22PM +0100, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I came across the following:
>>
>> There is an option to delete an entry in the Journal entry palette and
>> one in the detail section of an entry. This entry is as well available
>> when an activity is running. Currently when you delete an entry of a
>> running activity the entry gets recreated when closing the running
>> activity. So we do not have any data loss.
>>
>> Two options I discussed so far with Sascha on irc: We could either make
>> the delete option inactive when an activity is running or display an
>> alert when the button is pressed.
>>
>> Any other options? How do you like them?
>>
>> Personal Note:
>> While I like the inactive-option I am not sure this tells the user why
>> an option is not available.
>
> In my mind problem here is not with deletion(in mind it should just
> work, delete entry w/o any popups and inactive modes) but with workflow
> when activities write to journal on every deactivation.
>
> Not sure how we can fix last issue but sure that fixing 1st one at first
> is a crutch.
>
> --
> Aleksey

I agree with Aleksey that delete should just work. The place for any
dialog would be in the activity itself, when it goes to write. But it
is not clear to me that the current behavior is necessarily a bug.

But following up on Sascha's suggestion, if we need to (1) notify the
activity to do a save when the delete occurs and don't save except on
changes, then any subsequent changes would presumably be an
intentional override by the user. (2) Catching the time stamp would be
the only other point of intervention.

Question: is this still a problem in the world of real versioning?

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs