[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Deleting an entry in the Journal while the activity is running

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Mon Jan 25 08:00:21 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:30:40PM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:

> In my mind problem here is not with deletion(in mind it should just
> work, delete entry w/o any popups and inactive modes) but with
> workflow
> when activities write to journal on every deactivation.
I disagree. Having the activities save their state automatically on
closing is important for not losing any work done by the user. And while
we should optimize activities to not save during their runtime (i.e. for
window switches) if there hasn't been change since last save, we need to
at least update the timestamp on close.

If we compare our system to "real" activities, deleting a Journal object
that is still open doesn't make a lot of sense: It's like throwing a
painting into the garbage while you're still drawing on it.

To get our model back in sync two options come to my mind:
1. Prevent deletion while the activity is still running.
2. Automatically close the running activity (on switching away from it
we have saved, so there are no unsaved changes left to write on closing
it).

Originally I preferred #1, but maybe #2 makes more sense to the user.
Just hope nobody "discovers" it as a way to close activities (especially
depending on the particular translation of "delete")...

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/