[Sugar-devel] IMPORTANT: "sugar-jhbuild run" no longer starts sugar-emulator by default

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Wed Feb 3 16:42:07 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Jim Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure that what you're proposing is any less confusing than
> what we have now.  In my opinion sugar-jhbuild IS an alternative to
> sugar-emulator, at least if you define "sugar-emulator" as what is
> provided as a Sugar environment by Fedora and other distros.  You can
> run either one and it will not be affected by what you have done with
> the other.  I think of sugar-jhbuild as running in its own little
> world.  For instance, I'm going to use sugar-jhbuild run to test using
> new style Toolbars with my Activities and use the installed
> sugar-emulator for testing backward compatibility on the same box.
>
> Are there any other arguments that you could use with "run" other than
> sugar-emulator?

Yes:
 jhbuild run make
 jhbuild run make check
 jhbuild run python
etc.

I think it displays exactly the problem Sascha is trying to fix that
people think that sugar-jhbuild "is" sugar-emulator, instead of (the
actual case) jhbuild just being a command that sets some environment
variables and then execs "the real program", be that sugar-emulator or
make or python or whatever.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )