[Sugar-devel] A heads up for the major changes that will appear in Fedora 15 / SoaS 5

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 30 09:05:58 EST 2010

Hi Peter,

On 28 Dec 2010, at 21:17, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just thought I would give people a heads up for changes that I'm
> aware of that are going to be appearing in Fedora 15 / SoaS 5.
>
> The big one will be gnome3/gtk3 plus the associated changes that will
> come with the required pygtk / gobject-introspection (Tomeu could you
> possibly fill out some of the impact of this?), I'm somewhat concerned
> about this actually but time will tell.

This is the monstrous gaping maw of doom, from my perspective. Just about every Activity and much of the Sugar UI will break. Hopefully some of the fixes may be cookie cutter applied once we've worked through a few. It'll be a red flag day for all Activities, as once fixed up, they will be incompatible with past Sugar releases (up to now it has been largely possible for an Activity to run on all past Sugar releases).

Tomeu mentioned the idea of a Sugar hackathon event of some kind to try and fix up as much as possible.

Regards,
--Gary