[Sugar-devel] git problems (reprise)

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Mon Dec 27 22:27:26 EST 2010

I can't quite believe I find myself fighting gitorious again (tooth and
nail).

Please help.

I'm logged in; my ssh keys are OK. Earlier versions of FileMix exist in
gitorious. I'm trying to add v4. (I had trouble adding v3 as well, and don't
know whether I succeeded then either. I've the feeling gitorious only has
v2).

I made a fresh directory for FileMix and copied all of version 4 to it.

then:
git init
git add <the three changed files - as listed below>
git status
<everything looks good>

the console output then picks up and tells the rest of the story:

[liveuser at localhost FileMix.activity]$ git commit -a -m"Version 4 changes:
ObjectChooser and Sugar-version ID reworked"
[master (root-commit) 3b7e345] Version 4 changes: ObjectChooser and
Sugar-version ID reworked
 create mode 100755 FileMixReadMe.txt
 create mode 100755 activity/activity.info
 create mode 100755 filemix.py
[liveuser at localhost FileMix.activity]$ git push
gitorious at git.sugarlabs.org:filemix/mainline.git
To gitorious at git.sugarlabs.org:filemix/mainline.git
 ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to
'gitorious at git.sugarlabs.org:filemix/mainline.git'
To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
Merge the remote changes before pushing again.  See the 'non-fast-forward'
section of 'git push --help' for details.

What in the world is going on?

Art Hunkins