[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Messages notification

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-4 at silbe.org
Sat Dec 11 04:40:56 EST 2010

Excerpts from Gary Martin's message of Sat Dec 11 05:05:07 +0100 2010:

> > (and perhaps we could add a 'send
> > a notification' submenu to the friends icons on the Frame as well).
>
> I'm still thinking on that one... Chat type notifications from friends would seem like the ideal case for a consolidated, time ordered list of chat messages (not mixed in with other notification types), so you could actually have a valid conversation flow with collaborating buddies. If new messages were shown attached to the given buddy icon context, you'd be hard pressed to follow the sequence of a conversation (that UI would only really work for one on one private conversation flow).

I don't think chatting is a good use case for notifications. And we
already have XMPP and the Chat activity (they even work with non-Sugar
users up to some extent!) for that. If there's something about it that
you don't like, please bring it up so we can fix Chat (or XMPP support
in general) instead of bending new tools to do the same.

One improvement that came up in the past but never got implemented is
overlay chat for activities [1].

Sascha

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/0/0e/Overlay_chat_sketch.pdf
--