[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Messages notification

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 10 23:05:07 EST 2010

Hi Walter,

On 7 Dec 2010, at 10:40, Walter Bender wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> On 23 Nov 2010, at 17:23, Martin Abente wrote:
>>
>>> Awesome, let me know whenever you got something to share :)
>>
>> Just wanted to pass on the wiki page I've been working on. I'd like to generate more example mockups covering the devices frame edge (easy), and the buddy frame edge (more complicated, though we could use this edge just for arrival/departure/buddy-event, but it might be possible to have it cover 'bubble chat' as per Eben's previous hopes):
>>
>>        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Notifications
>>
>> Feedback/thoughts appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --Gary
>>

> I like both approaches, actually.

Arrrgh, nooo. I wasn't suggesting both! ;-)

> The first, with the badges, closely
> associates the notification with its context and the corner history
> let's you get an overview.

Yes I think keeping the notification close to its actual context is pretty critical.

> What if the corner history were instead
> added to the bottom of the frame as another system status tool and the
> badges were used as per the example.

Here's a mockup:

    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Notifications#Notification_history_as_a_device_icon

I guess a deployment that thinks this an important way to view a consolidated list of notifications could include such a device icon in their distro (much like the cpu load happy/sad face), but for me it looses the spacial context with the object that is actual trying to notify you of some event.

> (and perhaps we could add a 'send
> a notification' submenu to the friends icons on the Frame as well).

I'm still thinking on that one... Chat type notifications from friends would seem like the ideal case for a consolidated, time ordered list of chat messages (not mixed in with other notification types), so you could actually have a valid conversation flow with collaborating buddies. If new messages were shown attached to the given buddy icon context, you'd be hard pressed to follow the sequence of a conversation (that UI would only really work for one on one private conversation flow).

Regards,
--Gary