[Sugar-devel] Help testing new sugar packages in F14

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Aug 18 11:55:33 EDT 2010

On 08/18/2010 11:52 AM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to get the new Sugar release 0.90 [1] into shape and make it a stable
> release we want people to test the nightly Soas snapshots [2]. In order
> to get the new packaged tarballs into those builds they have to meet
> certain criteria first [3], hence we need people testing them.
>
> You can simply do this by getting the rpms from koji and install them
> into your latest soas snapshot and restart Sugar. What I do in short is:
>
> - open the Browse activity and go to http://koji.fedoraproject.org
> - search for the package (sugar, sugar-toolkit...)
> - click on the latest F14 version and then right-click on the download
> option of the 'noarch' rpm and choose 'copy link' from the palette (if
> you download directly it is stored in the Journal)
> - then open the terminal activity log in as root and you can copy in the
> address here using ctrl+shift+v or the edit tab in the toolbar
> - the command for updating the rpm is: 'rpm -U [name of rpm]'
>
> Once you tested the package you can comment on bodhi [4] about your
> findings and give karma points. If you have not done so yet, you should
> create a Fedora account [5], so your comments have a higher value.
>
> Why not start today? Here are some packages that would need your testing
> [6] [7]. Btw, there will be a Fedora testing day [8] this Thursday and
> we want to give a go on Sugar, too. More info to come.
>
> If you have questions please feel free to ask. I am as well on irc
> #sugar most of the day.
>
> Regards,
>      Simon
>
> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.90/Roadmap#Schedule
> [2] http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/soas/
> [3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_acceptance_criteria
> [4] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates
> [5]
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new?_csrf_token=88fb044408f6ad820284d0a7f38dc7731efb1808
> [6]
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/sugar-artwork-0.89.3-1.fc14,sugar-toolkit-0.89.3-1.fc14?_csrf_token=88fb044408f6ad820284d0a7f38dc7731efb1808
> [7]
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/sugar-toolkit-0.89.2-1.fc14,sugar-presence-service-0.90.0-1.fc14,sugar-0.89.3-1.fc14,sugar-base-0.90.0-1.fc14?_csrf_token=88fb044408f6ad820284d0a7f38dc7731efb1808
> [8] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/ticket/108

Actually, you can use as well the updates testing repository to test new
rpms. Completely forgot about that.

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update sugar sugar-toolkit...

And Bernie pointed out that fedora-easy-karma [1] can be used for people
who do not like to use web interfaces.

Gary pointed out that he has issues running the latest snapshot under
virtualization (Virtual Box) does not work for him (black screen). If
anybody has an idea...

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Easy_Karma