[Sugar-devel] [Systems] more mirrors

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sun Sep 27 14:45:33 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> El Mon, 21-09-2009 a las 09:16 +0200, Marten Vijn escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last saturday I (on EuroBSDcon) was talking with
>> folks for ISC.
>>
>> They be willing to mirror sugar as well.
>>
>> Shall I start working on this?
>
> Increasing the number of mirrors would certainly not hurt us, but I'm
> not sure how beneficial it is unless we start pointing users at these
> mirrors.
>
> The most rudimentary way would be doing round-robin DNS on
> download.sugarlabs.org.  The next step would be delegating
> download.sugarlabs.org to smart nameservers with GeoIP and dynamic
> mirror add/removal based on monitoring.  But wouldn't this be a
> duplication of what services like Cacheboy and Mirrorbrain already do?

I have set up a local instance of mirrorbrain on my development
machine which is running as download.localvm.sugarlabs.org .  Peter
Pöml the lead developer from mirrorbrain has offer to review my
installation notes on Monday

Bernie,

If you could set up a vm running ubuntu 9.04 (or what ever sunjammer
is  running ) I belive that we can have download.testing.sugarlabs.org
running by tomorrow evening.

Mirrorbrain might not be the correct answer for sugarlabs.  But at it
would give us a starting point.

david