[Sugar-devel] [Systems] more mirrors

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Sep 27 13:53:52 EDT 2009

El Mon, 21-09-2009 a las 09:16 +0200, Marten Vijn escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Last saturday I (on EuroBSDcon) was talking with
> folks for ISC.
>
> They be willing to mirror sugar as well.
>
> Shall I start working on this?

Increasing the number of mirrors would certainly not hurt us, but I'm
not sure how beneficial it is unless we start pointing users at these
mirrors.

The most rudimentary way would be doing round-robin DNS on
download.sugarlabs.org.  The next step would be delegating
download.sugarlabs.org to smart nameservers with GeoIP and dynamic
mirror add/removal based on monitoring.  But wouldn't this be a
duplication of what services like Cacheboy and Mirrorbrain already do?

We also have a namespace problem to address: last year, Marco convinced
me to shorten the URL by scrapping the "/sugar" prefix.  This means that
mirrors would now have to configure a virtual host for
download.sugarlabs.org.  We could fix this by re-introducing /sugar and
adding temporary compatibility aliases to the main server, but it
wouldn't work for the mirrors.  What do you think?