[Sugar-devel] Hello, was Re: Hack to get a USB/SD to autologin to only "Sugar-desktop on a stick". from a F12-alpha live CD

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Thu Sep 10 07:32:56 EDT 2009

David;

It seems to me, from these discussions, that you may not be actually
testing the reliability of the USB's.
This is if you are testing a live fs.
The unknown in the picture is the size and presence of the overlay and
when it will be exhaused.
This may, as Doug suggests, be what causes early "failures" in your
testing of strawberry written to USB with
live-usb creator or /livecd-iso-to-disk.sh /

Contrast this with the latest .img files I have been constructing.
These are case e) :

e) installed (non-liveos) on ext2/3/4(/ubifs?/btrfs?) on a usb/flash/nand
partition

(I am attaching a screen shot of a type e) USB. SD12kdeSUGAR4G
======================================
I used the F12-alpha-i686-KDE-live CD to install to a 4GB SD

//dev/sd(x)1     /boot     ext2 200 MiB with boot flag
/dev/sd(x)2    /             ext4 3.5 GiB

then I did the following commands in terminal:

yum install @sugar-desktop
yum upgrade @sugar-desktop
yum upgrade metacity (want XXXXX.9)

I then logged in to sugar at the KDE switcher screen
entered name and color
opened sugar terminal

*# the following makes a Sugar only USB:*

yum remove @kde-desktop
yum install @sugar-desktop (to reinstall needed files)
/yum install gedit
(after gedit is installed:)
gedit /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas

   * change: (to true and add sugar)

--snip--
<key>daemon/AutomaticLoginEnable</key>
<signature>b</signature>
<default>true</default>
</schema>
<schema>
<key>daemon/AutomaticLogin</key>
<signature>s</signature>
<default>sugar</default>
</schema> --snip--

exit root
rm -rf ~/.sugar
su -
pswd:xxx
shutdown -h now

====================================
This is quite different than a strawberry.iso installed with

/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh

/Which I think is case b)
/
NOTE
( These need a version number as the contents keep changing ie;
there is a new different one for the soas-2-beta.iso)

Versioning of these is ESSENTIAL as use of an old one can cause problems.

ALSO:
/Another completely different case to be looked at is a Sugar VMPlayer
Appliance where the files are copied to a Fat16 or Fat32
formatted USB/SD.
VMWorkstation files are constructed of (expandable up to 2GB slices) for
Compatibility.
These should behave quite differently when tested.

Cordially

Tom Gilliard
satellit

/