[Sugar-devel] Remove the naming alert in 0.86

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Sep 5 14:20:50 EDT 2009

Hi Benjamin,

On 5 Sep 2009, at 18:27, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

>> Drawbacks, are that many will still choose to not edit the name, and
>> Journal will fill with this junk text when ever they don't bother (I
>> usually only edit a name if I think the content is of future use).
>
> If the content is not of future use, why are we keeping it around at
> all?

I didn't say the content was of no future use, just at the time of
creation I might not be sure ;-) It provides a useful history of
things you've done for review/modification/re-use.

>> The auto-title needs to be smarter, more useful, not more
>> annoying ;-)
>
> Your "smart auto-title" sounds more like a preview than a title.  I
> think
> having faster visibility of previews in the Journal is a great
> idea... and
> might dodge this problem nicely.

That problem is also having much effort put into it try and improve.
The big one would have been the thumbs Journal view, but that has now
slipped from 0.86 due to time constraints :-( Smarter auto-titles are
I think a lower hanging fruit, and one that can be worked on partly
out of the pressure of the core release cycle.

Regards,
--Gary