[Sugar-devel] Should we care about non readers and kids with motor skill issues?

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:27:10 EDT 2009

Caroline Meeks writes:

> True. But all kids matter. Including the nonreaders, the ones going
> to schools that are not taught in their native language, the ones
> for whom reading is a struggle, the dyslectics.

You don't want to keep them non-readers forever, do you?
That's what happens when you don't push them to use text.

There are 2-year-old kids using Tux Paint. They don't read AFAIK,
yet nearly every Tux Paint icon comes with text. There is even an
area at the bottom of the screen where Tux constantly spews text.

The less a kid is able to read, the more he desperately needs text.