[Sugar-devel] Is Analyze compatible with 0.86.2 Sugar?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Oct 20 22:00:49 EDT 2009

Hi Thomas,

On 21 Oct 2009, at 00:30, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:

> I have been using Analyze in several versions of sugar. soas02
> Fedora 12(rawhide) and trisquel3.0-sugar (ubuntu). both 0.86.2 Sugar
> Analyze seems to work, but I am getting a number of avitars XO where
> the Pubkey and color fields are filled with ?.
> When this happens, the avitars with ? assume the color of My ./sugar
> identity. (I may have 4-6 or more showing my colors)
> Bug #1517
>
> I am not sure if this is due to:
> 1.) changes in the presence service from 084 to 086
> 2.) a slow and overloaded jabber (this seems to occur when it takes
> over 1 minute to add an avitar, and there are many users on the
> jabber.)
> 3.) Possibly incompatibility of  the  Analyze  activity with the
> 0.86  versions of Sugar.
>
> I note that when I use the Activities site and search  for  0.86
> activities  your  Analyze disappears. But it is present when  all is
> selected.
>
> Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Just tested jabber.sugarlabs.org here and with 0.86.1 under an F11
sugar-jhbuild I'm currently seeing two other buddy icons just as you
describe (same colour as me, and Analyse lists them with Pubkey=? and
their colour entries empty) the buddy names were "rafael", and
"Gustavo".

My initial gut reaction is that the jabber server is playing up, I
tried to connect with an XO running 0.84 for comparison but I couldn't
coax it into connecting at all. I'm also not aware of any presence
service compatibility breaks in 0.86. One other (slight) possibility
to consider is perhaps some folks are logged into the server with a
non-Sugar jabber client, or perhaps a modified version of Sugar. I'll
try and do some more tests tomorrow.

Anyone else seeing this? I've been working in Salut for a while now
(~5 local Sugar sessions collaborating) and haven't ever seen this
particular issue there.

Regards,
--Gary