[Sugar-devel] Design mockup of a different activity launcher

Avi fiendishx at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 18:37:11 EDT 2009

Tim wrote:
 > This may be an area where the interests of Sugar & Sugar on a Stick
may diverge.
 > Sugar on the XO-1 has a determined size. Bitmaps will be fine. Sugar
on a Stick
 > requires vector-based images, because we don't know what screen size
we'll encounter.
 > My experience with the GCompris applications in SoaS is that all of
the controls are
 > horribly rendered. It comes across as unprofessional, especially when
introducing
 > Sugar to teachers & parents.

I've already considered this issue, and really don't think that the
situation is as you say. In the case of an installed environment, screen
size can be known at install time and is, generally speaking with a few
exceptions, fixed for the lifetime of most installations even on
machines other than XOs. Even if it isn't known before the very first
run, it is certainly known at most subsequent runs, even allowing for
screen resolution changes (transient external monitors, portable boot
drives, etc).

Consider a scenario where the first launch generates a more efficient
format from the SVG, and then it never gets re-generated until the
resolution changes. I think that would be far better than the current
method, and I seem to remember that the code is already there to cache
like this. I think the cached images just don't get saved and recalled
for some reason.

I like Wade's idea of re-working the launch status indicator, but only
if the reason is to provide more valuable information to the user or to
make the current one as efficient as I think it can become. The
rationale that a new method is better because it would save CPU cycles
only makes sense if it can be shown that it isn't possible to accomplish
the same cycle reduction by making the current process smarter.

With that said, I'd of course much rather see a launcher infographic
similar to what I proposed earlier than see any effort put into making
the current one (or one similar to the current one) more efficient
without providing any better indication of launch status and probability.

- Avi