[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] GetBooks version 4
nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:26:30 EST 2009
I tried out your new Get Books on my XO running the latest Fedora 12
install that came out last week. For comparison I ran the same tests
on the first version of Get Books which I got from the git clone of
Get IA Books that you made. I ran the old one on my Sugar test
environment on Fedora 11. To give you some idea of its age, it still
refers to itself as "Get IA Books".
The results of testing on both were very different. The old one was
*much* better at finding books than your latest.
I tried searching for words like "burton", "twain", "mars",
"gulliver", "bible", and a few others on GB4 and got no books found
for any of them. This was searching "Feedbooks". When I switched to
Internet Archive I got some matches for "Twain" and I *think* I got
matches in Feedbooks for "Dickens".
On the other hand, the old GB had no trouble at all finding books for
these words in Feedbooks.
I didn't have time to do a lot of testing and there were no messages
in the Log to suggest anything. The new GB just acted like it
couldn't find anything.
One repeatable test would be to search for "Gulliver of Mars" in
Feedbooks. That was one of the books I found and downloaded with your
first effort, and it could not be found by your latest.
I have not had an opportunity to try your Activity under .82 yet, as
my XO has been upgraded. I do have a Fedora 10 box which should serve
for a .82 test, and I'll try it out there when I can.
> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:35:30 +0530
> From: Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] GetBooks version 4
> To: OLPC Bookreader list <bookreader at lists.laptop.org>, Sugar devel
> <sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>
> <a1314bfe0911290105v47715a2r91ae13165a5b887e at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> I just released GetBooks version 4.
> Changes from previous release:
> * Large result-sets spanning multiple OPDS catalog files are now
> supported - the list gets populated incrementally as the user scrolls
> down. A busy-cursor is shown whenever a result-set is being fetched in
> the background.
> * Fix startup problem in OLPC XO OS 8.2.x builds
> * Let users cancel downloads in progress
> * Fixes to the removable device support code
> Known issues:
> * Removable devices are not detected on the fly when rainbow is
> enabled. (This is due to the fact that Rainbow does not give access
> permission to running activities when a new removable drive is added).
> Workaround for it is to start Get Books _after_ the device has been
> plugged in.
> * Multipage result-sets for the Internet Archive do not work (there
> seems to be a minor error in the OPDS catalog files)
> * A crash (segfault) occurs sometimes during acitvity shutdown. Not
> yet sure what is causing it.
> Download link:
> Please test this as much as possible, and if all goes well I'll create
> a separate git repository for it, and upload it to ASLO.
> Sayamindu Dasgupta
More information about the Sugar-devel