[Sugar-devel] maintenance of 0.84 branches

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Nov 27 09:43:03 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 13:43, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 09:53 +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 09:45 +0000, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> > We'll need that they make explicit which modules want to take
>> > maintenance of and then each current maintainer should agree or
>> > disagree.
>>
>> All of glucose, I guess. Right now we only have patches for
>> sugar-toolkit and sugar.
>
> Actually, we'd rather only take over maintenance where it has stopped.
> So for sugar and sugar-toolkit at least that seems necessary.

I'm the maintainer of sugar and I'm fine with it. Simon maintains sugar-toolkit.

As I think you have already commit access, please add yourselves to
sugar/MAINTAINERS and update
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Modules#sugar .

> If
> existing maintainers of other components are able to continue taking new
> patches (from master) and translations and publishing releases then we'd
> rather leave the job to them.

Mind that it's not just a matter of a module or branch being
"maintained" or not. It's more about the person officially responsible
for that having time to attend all the requests or not.

There are many ways to increase the resources available for the
maintenance tasks of a module: being a co-maintainer, taking
maintenance of another module maintained by the maintainer, helping
with bug triaging, replying to questions posted in the mailing list,
fixing bugs in that module, helping with attracting more contributors,
and a long etc.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning