[Sugar-devel] GSM/CDMA Modems support (part II)

Martin Abente mabente at paraguayeduca.org
Wed Nov 25 13:02:54 EST 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:13:41 +0100, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Martin Abente
> <mabente at paraguayeduca.org> wrote:
>> As I mentioned in my last email to devel at lists.laptop.org, there is a
>> real
>> need for a GSM/CDMA usb modem support in our region since thats the most
>> common/available service in rural locations.
>
> Hola Martin,
>
> question: are you planning on giving a GSM/CDMA card to each child
> with an XO?

  No, but teachers and parents has been asking us about this in every
meeting we attended so far
  since they only got Internet access at schools.

> Or to configure the local XS to have a GSM/CDMA connection
> that provides the "upstream" connection which is then shared by all XO
> users that connect to the XS?
>
> If you want to set things up on the XS, we can probably come up with
> scripts that get it online as soon as you plug the modem into the XS.
> (So: unplug to disconnect).

  Thats not our case, all our school servers are working with WiMax
connections, which it's infrastructure
  requirements are fine for a school.

  But in countries like Paraguay with a high rate of cellphone usage and
coverage (which is an interesting phenomena,
  considering our country reality), gsm/cdma modems are by far the most
common and acquirable service.