[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Sugargame v1.0
wadetb at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 12:51:19 EST 2009
== Sugargame ==
Sugargame is a Python package which allows [http://www.pygame.org/ Pygame]
programs to run well under Sugar.
It is fork of the olcpgames framework, which is no longer maintained.
What it does:
* Wraps a Sugar activity around an existing Pygame program with few changes
* Allows Sugar toolbars and other widgets to be added to the activity UI
* Provides hooks for saving to and restoring from the Journal
==== Differences between Sugargame and olpcgames ====
The olpcgames framework provides a wrapper around Pygame which attempts to
allow a Pygame program to run mostly unmodified under Sugar. To this end,
the Pygame program is run in a separate thread with its own Pygame message
loop while the main thread runs the GTK message loop. Also, olpcgames wraps
Sugar APIs such as the journal and mesh into a Pygame-like API.
Sugargame takes a simpler approach; it provides a way to embed Pygame into a
GTK widget. The Sugar APIs are used to interact with Sugar, the Pygame APIs
are used for the game.
* Simpler code
* More elegant interface between Pygame and GTK
* Runs as a single thread: no thread related segfaults
* Possible to use Sugar widgets with Pygame
* No support for Pango or SVG sprites (yet)
See the Wiki page for usage information and examples.
A port of Physics to Sugargame exists at
My hope is that Physics and other olpcgames-based activities will
migrate to Sugargame, and that more hybrid PyGTK + Sugargame
activities will appear.
More information about the Sugar-devel