[Sugar-devel] Non-US non-XO keyboard (Was: "7 Meilen Stiefel" or New Soas-2 image available)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:16:53 EDT 2009

Sean,

The OLPC XO sets the keyboard based upon manufacturing data, since the
keyboard layout is determined by the hardware. The language setting in
the Control Panel is just for the language of the interface, which is
independent of the physical keyboard.

We do need to resolve this for SoaS at some point. But as Martin
points out, it is possible to set  by editing a configuration file...

-walter

2009/3/27 Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:39:13AM +0100, Sean DALY wrote:
>> Thanks Simon, I have read the thread but it seems to apply to XOs
>> only
>
> It applies to Soas.
>
>> My Acer Aspire One has a French azerty keyboard and boots up SoaS-1
>> and SoaS-2, but I can't find a way for it to see the French keyboard
> [...]
>> any way to solve this, even manual config?
>
> Try putting something like this in your /etc/sysconfig/keyboard file:
>
> KEYBOARDTYPE="pc"
> KEYTABLE="us"
> LAYOUT="fr,us"
> MODEL="pc105+inet"
> OPTIONS=""
> VARIANT="azerty"
>
> Disclaimer: I haven't tried this and am mostly guessing.
>
>> thanks
>>
>> Sean
>
> Martin

Walter Bender