[Sugar-devel] GSoC idea: Chart/graph-making activity

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 10:57:47 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Garrison Benson
<Benson.Garrison at gmail.com>wrote:

> Jameson Quinn wrote:
> >
> > Implementing a whole spreadsheet is a big enough chore. We do really care
> > about collaboration, but I would advise you to limit your ambitions to
> > something achievable, so worrying too much about collaboration right now
> > is
> > not vital.
> >

> I don't plan to create a spreadsheet, just a graph/chart tool. Obviously a
> full-featured spreadsheet (with functions, formulas, etc.) would be great
> for Sugar, but I think a simple, user-friendly charting activity would be
> much more feasible and more likely to actually be used in a primary
> school/middle school environment. (Full spreadsheet applications are pretty
> daunting to learn.) I was just throwing out the idea of a spreadsheet-style
> interface as the most obvious (but not necessarily best) type of interface
> for this kind of program.

OK, understood. I think that you're right, a spreadsheet-style interface is
best - when you're doing charts by hand, you start with data tables. Still,
I recommend that you plan your main deliverable as something that is
polished but without collaboration, and keep collaboration as something that
you'll work on if you have the time. Collaboration is actually harder to get
right than formulas, IMO.