[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] Marketing to parents...

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Thu Mar 19 19:28:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or, if anyone would like to step up to try to do this for SoaS, the
> source code to the installer is located at:
> http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/wadeb/wininstall/.git/
>
> There may be some issues installing the QEMU accelerator module under
> Vista.
>
> Further discussion of the VM topic is here:
> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/114
>
> We are almost there - the SoaS team is producing .vmdk files, we just
> need to set up the packaging and testing (and to finally choose a
> virtualization software).

I'll be happy to repackage the binaries, but I'd rather not start until we
decide on a virtualization platform.

It's very important to make these sort of decisions at the beginning,
because most of the work (IMHO) will be getting the VM software to configure
properly (as well as legal rights as with redistributing VMWare player if we
decide to go that route).

Here's a breakdown of the different popular VM products as I understand:

   - VMWare Player: Robust and popular, but good integration is not
   available in the Free version unless one installs VMWare Server, which,
   while an excellent product, is too complicated for the average user.
   Moreover, it cannot be redistributed until one signs a legal agreement with
   VMWare and waits for it to come back countersigned :(

   - VirtualBox: Again, popular. As with above, for the functionality we'll
   have to use the non-FLOSS edition, but Sun has very liberal use agreements
   and the software can be configured with a great deal of simplicity. Has
   proper desktop integration (resizable windows that auto-update the display,
   pointer integration, USB support, etcetera)

   - QEMU: As it's been stated in other posts, QEMU is free but slow, and
   it's KQEMU acceleration drivers are poorly supported on Windows.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc