[Sugar-devel] announce: alternate power management

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Thu Mar 19 16:14:35 EDT 2009

okay, if i don't quit playing with this thing and get the taxes
done, my wife will kill me.

so:  i've packaged a new version of powerd.  the big change
is that it now allows for the two modes of operation i mentioned
last week on the list:
                dim
                sleep, screen on
                sleep, screen off
                shutdown
or:
                dim
                screen off
                sleep, screen off
                shutdown

(in contrast, the current releases only really support
		dim
		sleep, screen on
after that you have to do things manually.)

in addition, powerd can use a completely different configuration
profile when running in ebook mode -- in fact, you can have multiple
profiles (you know you've always wanted a different power behavior
when taking your laptop to the beach, right?) and switch between
them pretty easily.

there's also a (very) primitive configuration utility that lets
you select the major configuration parameters.  (it's dialog-based,
so it's curses-based graphics.  you've been warned.)

by default, power management is only active when you're running
on battery.  that's selectable.

the big items listed under "unimplemented" down below are still
unimplemented.  don't know when i'll get to them.

enjoy.  please try it, please let me know what you find.  i've
seen a few anomolies while playing with it -- most of which i
think i've fixed.  but there may well be more, since i think i've
seen at least one i still can't really explain.  (but it was
after a couple of glasses of wine, so who knows.)

code:
      http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/pgf/powerd/
rpms:
      http://dev.laptop.org/~pgf/rpms/