[Sugar-devel] content bundles and the "OLPC Library" Browse home page

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Mar 19 15:42:40 EDT 2009

On 19 Mar 2009, at 18:22, Eben Eliason wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Gary C Martin
> <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>> On 19 Mar 2009, at 16:58, Wade Brainerd wrote:
>>
>>> My hope going forward is that .xol bundles merge with .xo bundles
>>> and
>>> that they become one and the same, each appearing on the Home view
>>> for
>>> example.  HTML would just be another development platform for
>>> writing
>>> Sugar activities, and what used to be non-interactive library
>>> content
>>> would become first class activities (not necessarily with
>>> interactive
>>> features, but possibly).
>>
>> +1 This is my hope/goal also, a selection of Sugar Activity
>> templates/
>> examples that provide a trivial path for various media types to be
>> integrated as first class Activities.
>
> I don't have any disagreement with making a variety of development
> platforms available for activity developers, HTML included, but I
> don't understand why this is conflated with content bundles.  As I've
> always seen them, content bundles are meant as a delivery format for
> sets or collections of content: images, sounds, books/pdfs, etc.  What
> benefit is gained by considering such a collection of objects as an
> activity?

Fair point :-) some quick thoughts:

- Why have a separate UI metaphor for objects hidden away in a default
Browse page, presented in a different way to the rest of the UI? Much
effort in Sugar has been made to make Activity = (document instant +
application).

- The separate .xol and hooks requires extra maintenance, testing,
install/removal process, all for something that (to my eye)
complicates the UI rather than simplifying it.

- Do we keep trying to push each new media type into a single Browse
Activity UI? The Read thread from a day or so back indicates that
differently tuned UI's for different book formats can be beneficial.
With the choice being, are the format use cases similar enough that,
for example, Read should have several UI faces tuned for the different
formats, or should there be several different Read like Activities for
the different formats (as we have now).

- Why should 'library' content be limited to the media types Browse
supports (i.e. without making folks jump though journal context switch/
duplication/launch hoops for unsupported content)?

I understand this pollutes the Activities as verbs space, but to be
honest that died a long time ago for me, and only ever really worked
for a handful of core Activities – verbs are nice, but there's not
usually one that makes much sense ;-)

Regards,
--Gary