[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Running sugar at almost-native speeds in Windows

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 21:55:28 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Dave Bauer <dave.bauer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I haven't found an easy way to get QEMU working with acceleration on OS X.

QEMU on Windows is also confused, or I am.

http://sugarlabs.org/go/Supported_systems/Windows still points to
Wade's fine bundle and detailed steps from Ton van Overbeek  but both
are to run OLPC 8.2.0 images which is old Sucrose.

Meanwhile http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulating_the_XO/Quick_Start/Windows
and its parent have lots of information about QEMU, but mostly
out-of-date.

I put today's SoaS2 ISO in my dusty old qemu 0.9.0 directory on
Windows XP.  I think you use "-cdrom Soas2-200903121944.iso" to make
it work.

C:\Qemu> net start kqemu

The KQEMU virtualisation module for QEMU service was started successfully.

C:\Qemu>qemu.exe -L . -m 256 -kernel-kqemu -soundhw es1370 -net user
-net nic,model=rtl8139 -cdrom Soas2-200903121944.iso

Version mismatch between kqemu module and qemu (00010400 00010300) -
disabling kqemu use

Maybe that's why it's mind-blowingly slow to boot.

QEMU 0.10 is out, but the two Japanese URLs don't have Windows
binaries.  Some random person at
http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=14435 has a Windows
build, while a compatible kqemu accelerator is nowhere to be found.
There is a QEMU 0.9.1 Windows binary, I don't know if available kqemu
works for it.

Emulating OLPC OS Images with QEMU has been difficult on any platform
ever since the 3DNow! extensions problem arose, I think that's why
Wade and Ton van Overbeek made special binaries.  But maybe old
versions of qemu/kqemu are fine for SoaS images.

> I think we are working towards a solution, just not as quickly as we would
> like.
The story of the life since the Industrial Revolution ;-)

=S Page