[Sugar-devel] SoaS Strawberry release debrief - development

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jun 25 22:45:58 EDT 2009

A quick debrief of how the SoaS-strawberry release went from 20,000.

Over all, it was a nice disciplined release.  A little bit of
featuring pushing in the last couple of days, but Gary and Sean kept
things tight over the last couple of days:)

A couple of ideas for the next release:

A.  Nail down a release road map early.  The actual date are less
important than the fact that we have dates.  The release cycle is
particularly interesting for SoaS be cause we have upstream Sugar
Labs, a distribution (Fedora in the case of Strawberry), and SoaS
developer all trying to synchronize.

B.  List and prep deliverables for the infrastructure team to
distribute.  There is a parallel debrief going on in the systems
mailing list to insure that the infrastructure holds up well.  1.
There have been several threads about making various VM images
available.
2.  We now have a partnership with LegalTorrents to help host and seed
Sugar Labs torrent.
3.  Make localized images available. Several people have mentioned
that localized images would be useful.

C.  Make the market while spreading the love.  This may spill over
into ieap....  The idea is that one of the primary goals of Sugar Labs
is to create and foster an ecosystem around the Sugar Learning
Platform.  A big part of this is figuring 'when and how to spin off'
successful projects.

Making the market can be a tough to do.  There are several
distributions which are interested in delivering a SoaS product.  The
challenge that Sugar Labs will have is to determine how to grow the
entire market for SoaS without crowding out other interested parties.

david